Skip To Main Content

Transition Checklist

__ Register with PUNS- In order to receive funding for services for adult day or residential services. You will be asked to participate in a PUNS interview with Community Alternatives Unlimited (CAU). In order to remain on the list, you will have to update information annually. In order to register with PUNS, you can contact them at 773-867-4000 or visit their website at  
__ SSI- In order to receive benefits from social security, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213 to request an application or fill out the application online at You should apply for Social Security Benefits before applying for Medicaid. 
__ Medicaid- Once awarded SSI benefits, you are eligible to apply for Medicaid. To apply for Medicaid, you can go online to download it and fill it out at  

__ SNAP Benefits-  SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) offers assistance to eligible low income families. 
__ Apply for ADA Paratransit- To apply for ADA Paratransit, you should call the RTA's ADA Paratransit Certification program at 312-663-4357 to have them mail an application to you. Once you complete the application you will have to call the same number to schedule an interview. Bring any supporting documentation, a photo I.D. and the completed application to the interview. If approved for ADA paratransit, you will received a confirmation letter within 21 days with your ADA paratransit ID number. For more information, you can go to  
__ Illinois State Identification Card- It's important to have a state identification card for a form of identification. You will need to go to the DMV or download it at In order to get a state identification card, you will need the following: birth certificate (original or copy), social security card (original) and proof of residence (mail postmarked within 60 days of application)  
__ Sign up for Lake County Ride West- Lake County Ride West is a regional door to door dial-a-ride bus service that serves Antioch, Avon, Fremont, Grant, Lake Villa and Wauconda townships and operates Monday through Friday. To see service area and other destination stops you can visit To register, call 1-800-201-6446.  
__ Register for Library Card- The local library can be a great resource and have programs that are available to local residents 
__ Employment- Division of Rehabilitation Services provides assistance to people with disabilities who are looking for employment. You can speak to your Vocational Facilitator about potential options with DRS. For more information or the self-referral page, you can go to
__ T.O.D.A.Y Club and Special Recreation options- These programs provide social and recreational opportunities for youths and adults with disabilities. For more information on Special Recreation Services of Northern Lake County (SRSNLC) or the today club visit  
__ Guardianship- Regardless of your young adult’s disability, once your child turns 18, the law presumes that the child possesses the capacity to make any and all decisions regarding their person and their finances. There are different types of guardianship (Limited, Full “Plenary”, Guardianship of Person, and Guardianship of the Estate). Guardianship can be obtained with or without an attorney. Alternatives to Guardianship include: (Delegation of Educational Rights, Powers Of Attorney for Healthcare, Powers Of Attorney for Finances, Representative Payee for Social Security Benefits, Joint Bank Accounts, Mental Health Treatment Declaration), you can go to

__ Estate Planning- Discuss your family’s options in the area of Special Needs Trusts with an attorney who specializes in this type of law.  Any inheritance your young adult receives could jeopardize SSI and or Medicaid benefits unless it is put into a special trust. The ABLE act of 2014 also allows people with disabilities to establish ABLE savings accounts that are tax free and do not affect eligibility for public benefits (SSI, Medicaid, etc) as long as the total annual contribution to the account does not exceed $14,000.